FIMRC Volunteer Service in BumwalukaniProject Bumwalukani currently welcomes volunteers traveling individually or in groups of up to 10. Volunteer activities are arranged year-round, so please contact us with the dates you would like to travel and we will do our best to accommodate you!
All volunteers will:
- Spend one day shadowing clinic staff at all stations, from patient intake to the exit interview
- Visit Bududa district hospital and Bukigai Health Center, two of the other major health facilities in the district
- Spend a day in Mbale town visiting
- Cure hospital, a private neurosurgery hospital specializing in hydrocephalus and spina bifida
- Mbale Regional Referral Hospital, the closest regional hospital to us, and
- The AIDS Support Organization (TASO), the first organization of its kind in Uganda focusing on psychosocial support for AIDS patients
In addition, all volunteers will be given the option to participate in the following activities according to their interest and skill level:Clinic volunteer opportunities: Assisting with patient intake and management, taking patient vitals, observe patient examination with our clinical officer, assisting with drug dispensing, conducting laboratory testing
Community health outreach volunteer opportunities: Attend home visit follow-up care for HIV-positive clients, assisting with community outreaches, conducted twice a month by our Community Health Educators (CHEs), attending home-based meetings for one of our seven community health groups, assisting with the planning of special public health events, such as World Malaria Day, World AIDS Day, or clinic programs
Health education volunteer opportunities: teaching health education to patients waiting at the clinic and members of our community health groups, teaching health classes to primary and secondary school students, writing and editing lesson plans
Special projects: Volunteers can also assist with special projects as they arise. In the past these projects have include mosquito net treatment days, life skills camps for secondary students, development of visual aids, etc.
Qualified volunteers are also encouraged to work at any of our partner sites within the district to work for a longer period of time after touring the sites. In the past, volunteers with medical training have worked at Bududa Hospital, Bukigai Health Center, Mbale Regional Referral Hospital, Cure Hospital, and The AIDS Support Organization (TASO)
Popular weekend excursions:
- Jinja: white water rafting on the Nile, souvenir shopping, source of the Nile river (2-3 days)
- Sipi falls: hike to three major waterfalls just north of Bududa (2-3 days)
- Visit Kampala, Uganda’s capital city (2-3 days)
- Visit one of the district markets (several hours)
- And many more!